Saturday, September 30, 2006

Video Games - Keeping it in Perspective

I'll admit it, our family spends an amazing amount of time on computers, video games, cell phones, iPods, playing with the GPS and other technology. We are tech-junkies. All five of us - ages 39, 38, 10, 8 and almost 5.

Maybe we spend too much time toying with these things, but are we being damaged in the process? I don't think so. I'd like to think we are able to balance our technology time with other activities such as sports, school and friends effectively. We have all the computers in common areas of the house - two in my office and three in the kids playroom which is visible from my office. And, we know what our kids are playing. We take the time to find out what their favorite sites and games are, and we check them out with them.

I just read an article at Games Industry Wire called What Every Parent Needs to Know About Video Games. The author does a great job of putting video games and their ratings in perspective. It is a recommended read.

I say let the kids play - you'd be surprised what they can learn from their games if guided properly and given some room to make mistakes.

Okay, do you agree with me? Sound off by leaving a comment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our kids are similar ages (mine are 8,6,5,19mos). They are certainly geeks too! I tell you, as much as we try to regulate it, I can't help but be proud that my little ones are geeks who'd rather be on the XBox and computer than on the phone or in front of the TV.

But, still, we have to make times for running. Of course, as normal kids, they LOVE being outside. We do the park at least once a week, sometimes twice (in addition to daily outdoor play). Life is good!